Tower of Sarachinis – The Fortress Guardian of Samos’ History
🏰 Tower of Sarakini – Heraion, Samos
Just outside Heraion, in southern Samos, stands the Tower of Sarakini, one of the island’s most important post-Byzantine fortified buildings and a monument closely connected with the resettlement of Samos during the second half of the 16th century.
The Tower dates to 1577 and is regarded by the Greek Ministry of Culture as the oldest tower house built on Samos that survives today. It was the residence of Nikolaos Sarakinis, one of the first settlers of the island’s new period of habitation.
📍 Location
The Tower is located in the wider area of Heraion, Samos, at a low elevation within a rural landscape and at a relatively short distance from the present-day coastal settlement.
The monument falls under the responsibility of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Samos and Ikaria and is officially included among the important monuments supervised by the archaeological authorities.
📜 The Resettlement of Samos
The Tower should be understood within the historical context of the resettlement of Samos during the 16th century.
For a long period before this, the island had suffered severe population decline and large parts had effectively become deserted. The resettlement was associated with the policy of the Ottoman admiral Kılıç Ali, who encouraged new Christian populations to settle on the island.
Official archaeological information places this organised initiative in 1572.
The Tower of 1577 is therefore one of the earliest surviving architectural witnesses to this new period in the history of Samos.
⚓ Kılıç Ali and the Tradition of 1562
Many local accounts state that Kılıç Ali anchored in the Gulf of Heraion around 1562 because of bad weather, was impressed by the island and later promoted its resettlement.
This story is widely repeated, but the dates and details differ between sources.
For this reason, the episode involving the storm should not be presented as an unquestionably documented event. What is securely established is that the official archaeological record connects Nikolaos Sarakinis and the Tower with the organised resettlement of Samos promoted by Kılıç Ali.
🧔 Nikolaos Sarakinis
Nikolaos Sarakinis was born on Patmos and was of Cretan origin. He served aboard the flagship of Kılıç Ali and became directly associated with the process of resettling Samos.
Kılıç Ali granted him extensive land in the Heraion area, where Sarakinis settled and built his residence.
The Tower was completed in 1577.
It is not historically accurate, however, to describe Sarakinis as “the first inhabitant of the new Samos”. The safer formulation is that he was one of the first settlers of the island during the resettlement period.
🏠 A Fortified Residence, Not a Castle
Despite its strongly defensive appearance, the Tower of Sarakini was not a large military castle.
It was a fortified residence, or tower house, designed to combine everyday living with protection in an era when piracy and other raids posed a genuine threat to coastal communities throughout the Aegean.
Its official classification as a tower house reflects precisely this dual residential and defensive function.
🧱 Architecture of the Tower
The Tower is a substantial stone-built, elongated rectangular structure, approximately 12 metres high.
Internally, it is arranged into:
✅ A basement
✅ Three storeys
Its defensive character is clearly visible in its construction, particularly in the upper sections of the building.
⚔️ Battlements, Machicolations & Arrow Slits
Among the Tower’s defensive architectural features are:
✅ A roofline with battlements
✅ Two machicolations, one on the northern and one on the southern façade
✅ Defensive slits
✅ Limited and protected openings
✅ Strong stone masonry
The machicolations allowed defenders to protect the areas immediately below the walls of the building.
There is no need to repeat the popular claim that they were specifically used for pouring “boiling oil”. Although common in popular descriptions of medieval fortifications, this is not specifically documented for the Tower of Sarakini.
✠ The Maltese Cross Motif
Particularly interesting are the stone-framed windows on the second floor.
The official archaeological description notes that they are decorated with a Maltese Cross motif.
An important distinction should be made here: the source describes a decorative motif, not a coat of arms of the Knights of Malta.
There is no official evidence that the Tower belonged to the Knights Hospitaller or that the windows prove a direct connection with the Order. It is therefore more accurate simply to refer to the Maltese Cross motif.
⛪ The Twin Church Beside the Tower
Immediately beside the Tower stands one of the most interesting features of the complex: the twin church of Agios Ioannis Theologos and Agios Georgios.
Its construction dates to 1602, according to an inscription preserved above the entrance.
It is not simply one church with two dedications. The building essentially consists of two churches joined together as a single complex.
🕍 Agios Ioannis Theologos & Agios Georgios
The two sections have separate dedications and different forms at their eastern ends:
✅ One is dedicated to Agios Ioannis Theologos and ends in a polygonal apse.
✅ The other is dedicated to Agios Georgios and ends in a semicircular apse.
There is no reliable evidence supporting older suggestions that this twin arrangement resulted from “two families sharing the church” or from “cooperation between different communities”, so such interpretations are best avoided.
🏡 An Entire Residential Complex
The Tower and the twin church are not the only surviving structures.
A courtyard lies between them, while additional auxiliary buildings survive in the wider complex.
Official records mention:
✅ Stable
✅ Cells
✅ Kitchen
✅ Other auxiliary structures
Their presence shows that the site was not simply an isolated defensive tower, but part of an organised complex intended for residence and everyday life.
⛪ The Connection with Patmos
Nikolaos Sarakinis had strong ties with Patmos, where he had been born, and the complex later became associated with the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian on Patmos.
Published historical descriptions state that the Tower eventually passed into the ownership of the monastery and remains associated with it today.
🛡️ A Symbol of a New Period for Samos
The importance of the Tower extends beyond its architecture.
Its construction in 1577, only a few years after the beginning of the organised resettlement of the island, makes it one of the most characteristic monuments of Samos’s transition into a new historical period.
For this reason, it can reasonably be described as a symbol of the resettlement of Samos, though not literally as “the first house of the new Samos”, since such a claim cannot be archaeologically demonstrated.
🔐 Present Condition & Visiting
The Tower survives in relatively good condition and the monumental complex can be approached easily.
However, official information from the Ministry of Culture clearly states that:
The interior of the Tower is not open to visitors.
Visitors can approach the exterior and observe the Tower, its battlements, machicolations and the neighbouring twin church.
Local information indicates free access to the surrounding area, but there is no organised ticketing system or official interior visiting schedule, since the Tower itself remains closed.
👀 What to Look For
During your visit, it is worth paying particular attention to:
✅ The imposing elongated stone structure of the Tower
✅ The battlements along the upper section
✅ The two machicolations
✅ The defensive slits and limited openings
✅ The stone-framed windows of the second floor
✅ The Maltese Cross motif
✅ The twin church of 1602
✅ The different forms of the two apses
✅ The auxiliary buildings of the complex
📷 Photography
The Tower is a particularly interesting photographic subject because of its austere defensive architecture and the survival of much of its original form.
Especially striking are the line of the battlements, the stone façades, the second-floor windows and the composition created by the Tower together with the twin church.
⭐ The Oldest Surviving Tower House on Samos
The Tower of Sarakini is a monument that connects architecture with one of the most important turning points in the later history of Samos.
Built in 1577 as the residence of Nikolaos Sarakinis, it combined everyday life and defence within a strong stone-built tower house. The battlements, machicolations, defensive slits and limited protected openings reflect the security needs of the period, while the twin church of 1602 and the auxiliary buildings complete the picture of an entire historical complex.
As the oldest tower house built on the island that survives to this day, it remains one of the most important physical testimonies to the resettlement of Samos and the new historical period that began during the second half of the 16th century.
Add new comment